Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Matti's Mystery Snake

In my previous post I revealed that DPunct has a specific origin. One species of snake that I will be marking this summer is the ring-necked snake whose scientific name is.......
 
Drum roll, please.........
 
Diadophis punctatus! And voilà! The origin of DPunct!
 
Photo courtesy of the Virginia Herpetological Society
 
Why did I choose ring-necked snakes as the namesake of my blog? These little dudes are ADORABLE!
 
In southwest Virginia the specific sub-species is Diadophis punctatus edwardsii which is the northern ring-necked snake. These little guys are often a velvety black color with a light-colored ring around their necks. Their ventral scales (AKA their bellies) range from yellow to red. Their average length is only around 10-15 inches.
 
You can read all about them and other local species on the Virginia Herpetological Society's webpage.
 
Clearly evolution wants to keep these little dudes around! Evolution put a ring on it..........

 
Please excuse the corny joke. I couldn't resist.
 
Want to learn more about the Virginia Herpetological Society? Check out next week's post!

No comments:

Post a Comment